Friday, December 4, 2015

First Listen: Track-by-Track Review of Coldplay's A Head Full of Dreams


Coldplay fans, rejoice! For the band is set to perform at next year's SuperBowl Halftime Show. As the news broke out, we are given the chance to listen to the new album, "A Head Full of Dreams", alleged to be their last album, so without further waiting, here's my impressions upon listening to the album for the first time ever!

1. A Head Full of Dreams - the intro reminded of the Mylo Xyloto interlude, right until it changed to a dance-y beat. I love that it's upbeat, which is a sharp contrast to their previous opening track, "Always in My Head". It somehow reminds me of a "The 1975" production, are they going for a 70's synthpop revival? Not quite yet! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE HARMONIES IN THE BRIDGE, it is really beautiful, euphoric, and I felt alive to be honest! This is definitely my favorite opening track from the band. An ANTHEM everyone would love, it's ready for stadiums! 10/10

2. Birds - Drums, drums, drums, and a melancholic electric guitar too, the beat reminded me of "Hurts Like Heaven", but it's far from being happy. Another chilly track from the band, I think the prechorus is weak, but the chorus is signature-Coldplay! The bridge is melodically interesting too, that part till the end is definitely my favorite moment, right until it was cut anticlimactically. I think I'm going to be inlove with this after a couple more listens. 8/10

3. Hymn for the Weekend - the track I'm most excited about, everybody hyped it to the maximum level, and did it deliver? I think it did! Beyonce harmonizing in the beginning is definitely interesting, and when the beat kicked in, it felt like it's a new Coldplay territory. Clap beats, world instruments, hip-hop elements, R&B touches, but the song's structure is so weird! The chorus is definitely an album highlight, it's so uplifting, it is indeed a hymn! I prefer this collaboration much more than the Rihanna-collab "Princess of China", but I was hoping Beyonce was a bit more prominent though. Still, a perfect track! 10/10

4. Everglow - slow, piano-driven ballad, and by the start of it, seems like an ode to love. Something that wouldn't have been out-of-place in Adele's album 2 weeks ago. Martin's vocal delivery here brings me back to their song "O", simply beautiful. This song somewhat acts like a break between 2 upbeats, and it serves rather well. The piano riff is beautiful, simple but effective! Coldplay is really effective with ballads, I actually love it a lot. 10/10


5. Adventure of a Lifetime - the album's funky lead single, released about a month ago. Very catchy, and it still surprisingly sounds fresh! Would have been better if it had a stronger chorus, the repetition is what turns me off from listening to it again. But the outro is worth more than that, the guitar riff is definitely one of my all-time favorite outros from them! As a whole though, this song seems so weak, I think it's better as a stand-alone song! 7/10

6. Fun (feat. Tove Lo) - another electric guitar melancholic-wrapped song, I think it could be a song from "Ghost Stories", right until the explosive chorus hits, it's straight-up Alternative-Pop that will be serviced to radios. It is very nice to hear Tove Lo, but she's more like a back-up singer here. A couple more listens and I can already feel it's going to crawl into my Top 5! 8/10

7. Kaleidoscope - muddled piano in the beginning, and A REAL SURPRISE by Chris Martin. I never would have expected these kinds of vocals in a Coldplay song to be honest, but this seemed like an experimental era from them, so it's to be expected. It's a very psychedelic interlude

8. Army of One - far from anything they've done at the beginning of their career, but there's always room for growth. This one is probably a grower, the chorus seems weak to me, something that The Script would have done and not Coldplay. At 6 minutes, a lot of things happened, and as I predicted, it's definitely a grower, the outro is mind-changing one! THERE IS A HIDDEN TRACK, but I don't think I like it that much., it sounded more like a Drake-track to be honest. 8/10

9. Amazing Day - they premiered this ages ago, and I never liked it. In fact I never thought it would be this beautiful, the bridge is so heartbreaking as if this is the last thing they'll do! If there is anything that the old Coldplay fans would love, IT IS THIS SONG! It somehow reminded me of Yellow, Clocks and The Scientist all at once! It is so nostalgic, and if by chance this is indeed their last era, then what a nice gift this song is! 10/10



10. Colour Spectrum - beautiful interlude, that's all!

11. Up&Up - surprising track. It is kinda weird because I kept imagining Taylor Swift is singing the verses, this definitely sounds like a Max Martin x Coldplay collab track. The same feeling I've got the first time I heard Adele's "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)", something that wouldn't have suited for the 2, but they did! I love the choir in the background of the song, it definitely lightened it up! If "O" hadn't existed, this would have been my favorite closing track from them, it's just too good, too happy to end the record! 10/10

Surprisingly, I never thought I would love this record as much as I did with Ghost Stories or Mylo Xyloto. I am probably one of the few people who preferred their recent albums compared to their old ones! When Adventures of a Lifetime premiered, I told myself not to get my hopes up, only to discover that Adventures is probably the worst track from the record!

This is a really happy album, it sounds so festive minus a couple ballads! There is energy throughout the 11 tracks plus a hidden one. Believe it or not, after just a single listen in its entirety, I'm glad to say, "It's my favorite album from them!"

The album is now available in iTunes and Amazon

0 comments:

Post a Comment